We all know the fact that ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) is a ten-nation bloc in Asia which is similar to that of UE (European Union) in Europe. Perhaps many of us are also aware that the ASEAN Declaration which gave birth to ASEAN in 1967 was actually signed in Bangkok. So what else do we need to know?
Below are five facts about ASEAN and how it has become an important part of the world today through the inauguration of AEC or ASEAN Economic Integration.
- The ASEAN was the 7th largest economy in the world and 3rd largest in Asia with a combined GDP of USD 2.6 trillion in 2014.
- The ASEAN was the 3rd largest market in the world with 622 million people behind only China and India.
- The ASEAN total trade increased by nearly USD 1 trillion between 2007 and 2014.
- The ASEAN attracted USD 136 billion in FDI in 2014, accounting for 11% global FDI inflows, up from 5% in 2007.
- Tourist arrivals in the ASEAN region were up from 62 million in 2007 to 105 million in 2014.