To tighten security and to avoid more casualties on some targeted cities, the authorities have decided on Friday, August 12, 016 to close some areas, local news website Khaosod reports.
Some events celebrating Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s birthday have also been cancelled.
The decision came after authorities decided to close down Hua Hin’s main road into town. Markets and other places where people gather were urged to remain closed.
Meanwhile, heightened security remains in some airports.
Four people have already been killed in a string of explosions which started on Thursday afternoon.
Here is the list of some places that have been closed down and events that have been cancelled due to bombings and fire incidents.
- Mother’s Day celebrations may be canceled
- Department stores instructed to close
- Petchkasem Road into Hua Hin’s downtown has been closed. Commuters are urged to use alternative routes in.
- Tourist attractions such as the Cicada Market, Hua Hin Market Village, Seenspace Hua Hin and night markets were closed on Friday
- Mother’s Day evening parade is canceled.
- Checkpoints at several roads leading to other nearby provinces.
- Police randomly check cars heading to Phuket International Airport
- Krabi Pedestrian Night Market is ordered to shut down Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Security status raised at Phuket International Airport
- Restaurants are temporarily closed
- Many roads are closed, checkpoints take place
- Only few tourists at Patong Beach, walking along the beach and swimming in the sea.
- Patong’s department store Jungceylon still opens as usual, however, the venue has lifted up security system with security guards.
- Police Chief Chakthip Chaijinda ordered tighter security at sensitive areas such as embassies, shopping malls and the Erawan Shrine where a bomb killed 20 people one year ago this month.