A magnitude 6.9 earthquake jolted Davao del Sur on Sunday afternoon, Phivolcs said.
The tremor struck 6 kilometers northwest of Padada town in Davao del Sur, a week before Christmas. It was tectonic in origin and had a depth of 30 kilometers, according to Phivolcs
The tremor will cause damage and aftershocks, Phivolcs said.
Another temblor, measured at magnitude 5.2, hit Matanao town, Davao del Sur at 3:09 p.m., according to Phivolcs.
Instrumental Intensity II was reported in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental, while Instrumental Intensity I was recorded in Cagayan de Oro City, state seismologists said.
Below are areas where the magnitude 6.9 quake was felt:
- Intensity VII – Matanao & Magsaysay, Davao del Sur
- Intensity VI – Kidapawan City; General Santos City; Bansalan, Davao del Sur; Alabel & Malapatan, Sarangani; Koronadal City
- Intensity V – Tulunan & Matalam, Cotabato; Cotabato City; Davao City; Glan, Sarangani
- Intensity III – Kalilangan, Talakag & Dangcagan, Bukidnon
- Intensity II – Impasugong, Bukidnon; Cagayan de Oro City; Dipolog City
- Intensity I – Zamboanga del Sur
The following instrumental intensities were reported:
- Intensity VIII – Malungon, Sarangani
- Intensity VI – Alabel, Sarangani; Kidapawan City
- Intensity V – General Santos City; Koronadal City; Tupi, South Cotabato
- Intensity III – Gingoog City
- Intensity II – Zamboanga City; Kiamba, Sarangani
Three powerful quakes, all of which were above 6 on the magnitude scale, struck the region in October, leaving at least 23 dead and scores injured.
Source: ABS-CBN News