The nationwide death toll from China’s viral epidemic has leapt to 170, the government said on Thursday, with more than 1,700 new infections confirmed, Bangkok Post reported.
Thirty-seven of the 38 new deaths came in hard-hit Hubei province, the epicentre of a contagion that is causing mounting global fear.
Another death occurred in southwestern Sichuan province, the National Health Commission reported.
Tibet also reported its first case, the commission said.
The 38 new deaths marked the biggest single-day jump yet and come as a massive containment effort is under way that has effectively locked down tens of millions of people in Hubei.
Meanwhile, Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health on Tuesday has discovered six more cases of coronavirus infection in Thailand, bringing the total number to 14 so far since the outbreak in December.
Ministry Permanent Secretary Sukhum Kanchanapimai said all of the six new patients are Chinese nationals; one from the city of Chongqing and five others are members of a family from Hubei province. Their age ranges from 6 to 60, Sukhum told reporters.